Monday 6 December 2010

Holiday Memory #1

Things are getting to a state of too cold and foggy, like, all the time now. Feel very ill, but that could be a 'run-down' feeling because it's nearing the end of term. So to cheer me up (and maybe spark memories of your own) I'ma share my first memory of this year's holiday to Turkey:

Travelling to Fethiye from Birmingham:

It's 5:30pm and the taxi turned up to pick up the family, Tiny had already arrived and was a little bit upset but she cheered up pretty soon. Fran turned up only seconds after the taxi did said a quick goodbye and we got in to leave for Birmingham airport. Because of a unexpected incident on the roads we were forced to make a detour and arrived at Birmingham with not much time to spare at check in.

We joined what was now a short queue and us four girls sat on our cases watching the people around us while mum and dad sorted passports and that out. Next to us was a queue all headed to Ibiza and a group of people all different ages wearing t-shirts with various things on the back. Here was the one that made us laugh:

If you've seen the last episodes of 'Friends' then you'll know how funny this was.
Also in the queue for Ibiza was the most gorgeous looking guy who had model looks - no joke - chiselled jawline, short brown hair and amazing physique. We all tried not to stare at him, we really did.

Check in sorted, we found a Wetherspoons to eat at, with very little time left before boarding.
Holiday tip: If you're in a rush then get a Caesar Salad, doesn't take long to make and the dressing allows for quick eating. The others had burgers which is not easy for quick eating and gives you indigestion later.

In a previous conversation with LK, he asked me if I would mind picking up some booze to take out with us and he'd pay us back - it's a cheaper and easier way of restocking alcohol during the busy season - so a quick run around duty-free and next thing I knew, we'd boarded the plane! I was like a little kid at Christmas, getting so excited!

As usual for me, I quietly freaked out during take-off but relaxed once we got going. Because we got a 8:00pm flight out it was less busy and Tiny and Trina (my sister) took a row each at the back. Me and Fran shared our row by sitting with our feet meeting in the middle - cosy.
It was a uneventful flight with a little interest in the lightening outside that we could see flying past. We were edging closer and closer to Dalaman.

Learning from last year when I'd left the plane in jeans, vest top and a cardigan, I took no chances and changed into a pair of shorts just before landing. Thank god I did! Despite the fact it was 2:00am in the morning Turkish time, it was still bloody hot compared to England! We queued for visas, claimed our luggage and then we were outside in beautiful Turkey! I was still like an excited kid and weirdly wide awake for some at what was now 3am!

We were stood in the pick up area looking around for our taxi but couldn't spot it. My dad went in search while the 5 females waited, me manning up in case of trouble haha. Eventually my dad found Memet, the same guy from last year - lovely person, he really is - and we were on our way out of Dalaman towards the town of Fethiye.

It was a 40 minute drive and everyone else fell asleep, but all I can remember is the adrenaline and excitement, recognising parts of the route from last year and trying to guess how far away we were, and making plans for this year. I woke Fran about 20 minutes before we arrived thinking it was about 5. Ooops.

Eventually we arrived at the apartment, and I bounded up the stairs with my suitcase. I insisted on showing Fran the apartment and the views around it. By this point dawn was breaking over the beautiful town:

From memory it was a bit darker than the photo, but yes, home sweet home.

Let the holiday begin :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment